BASTE Southern Gumbo Recipe
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of the BASTE Booster
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound crabmeat
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; cook and stir until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. 3. Stir in the flour until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, Cajun seasoning, BASTE booster, and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and crabmeat; cook until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves. Garnish with parsley before serving. 8. IT's TIME TO EAT!